Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's Finished! We did it!

I am so excited to be able to share these pictures with y'all!  I am so excited how my first reupholstery project turned out.  Would you like a little sneak peek?

How about another? 

This turned out so much better than I imagined it would!  Remember how it started?

It is now perfect for Kalyn's room!  Well, it is the first part of perfect for Kalyn's room.  We are going to slowly replace some things in her room over the next few months - some I will make, some things will be repurposed, some purchased - but this chair is the first.  Kalyn's room renovation started with a discussuion with my sister about updating Kalyn's room and we found a PBteen quilt that was the inspiration for this chair makeover. 

Picture from PBteen

These are two other PBteen items that inspired my choices for this chair...

I thought that the woodwork was similar (and I'm using this term reallly loosely) to the small PBteen chair,but I loved the idea of the bold zebra print. 

So, how about another peek at the finished project!?

And, well, are a few more pictures!


I'm so proud to put this in Kalyn's room!

Later this week I will delve a little more into some of the details about the project, but here are some of the steps we took at the beginning of the project!

I very carefully and meticulously  removed the old fabric pieces - and when I say carefully and meticulously, I mean it!  I took the pieces off one by one and numbered them as I removed them.  I also photographed each piece as I removed it so I could reference the pictures when I put the new pieces on the chair.  But that's not all!  I also wrote down everything about the piece as I took it off - information like how it was attached, if and how it was sewn , and other various details. 

Once the chair was taken apart, I gave the wood pieces a light sanding and then came my favorite part! 

Spray painting!!!!!!!!!!!  I spray painted (with Rust-Oleum Ultracover 2x) a primer coat first and then a glossy black!   I then used a spray polyurethane - Varnathane's spray Indoor Heavy Use.  I ended up brushing on some polyurethane as well.  The spray polyurethane would be great for a smaller project or just for the detail parts of the chair (such as the spindles).  I ended up brushing on some of the same polyurethane (from a can though) because it would have been costly to buy enough of the spray polyurethane to give the chair a good three or four coats. 

Next came the fabric and trim...  But I will save those details for later this week.  Here is a picture of the final product!  Again, I'm so proud of how it turned out!  It has inspired me to not be afraid to tackle some larger projects and learn from them. 

Here it is!!!!!

I'm linking this up to the CSI Pottery Barn Inspired Challege. 


  1. Wow! That turned out awesome Erin. You have more patience and creativity than I can ever imagine having. I hope Kalyn loves it and gets lots of good book reading done in it. Can't wait to see the next project done!

  2. Great job. What a great job. I know Kalyn will love reading in her new chaie. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

  3. What a great chair makeover! Love that fabric! I'm so impressed that this was your first re-upholstery looks VERY well done.

  4. Heather - Thanks! It was so much fun!

    Barbara - Thanks!

    Cara - Thank you! I've always wanted to reupholster something and this was a perfect and easy chair. Thank you for the sweet comment!

    Katie - Sassy is a great description! Thank you!

  5. Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us.
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

  6. Absolutely did a great job!!! Thanks for linking up with us over at The CSI Project.


  7. Very nice and I love that bold punch of pink.


  8. This - is - awesome!!!! I love love love it! I need to go thrifting to find myself a good chair to recover - my daughter would LOVE this!
    Thanks for the inspiration - the chair is beautiful!