Monday, December 6, 2010

I think we have committment issues.  I am awful about updating this and I could promise to do better, but I'm not going to.  I know how that will end up...

Instead, I think it would be best just to pretend I haven't been procrastinating for months and just move on.  Sound good?  I thought so.

Since this last week is was Cookie Week, I made sugar cookies yesterday last week...initially.  Then I thought Snickerdoodles would be good.  So I made a batch of those.  And then, I remembered I had some Spiced Vanilla Sugar from the Savory Spice Shop and so I made another half-batch to see if it was good.  It was a hit with my 8-year-old. 

I ended up with a jar of cookies.  Which is kind of normal around our house. 



(I would insert a picture here of our jar of cookies, but they're mostly gone now.  And my new lens hadn't come in the mail yet.  And my point-and-shoot takes ok pictures, but not great ones.  Maybe I'll get over it by the end of the post and show some of my horrrrible pictures.)

I thought I would share my sugar cookie recipe with you.  It is so simple and delicious.  Also - if you like to run to the store for your cookie dough, try this recipe first.  They are so easy and you can mix them up in minutes!  The longest part is letting your butter come to room temperature.  This recipe came from one of my mom's teacher friends and we have used it as our go-to sugar cookie recipe since then.  Before I give you the recipe, go take out two sticks of real unsalted butter and let them come to room temperature before reading! 

Pop's Sugar Cookies

2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
4 cups self-rising flour
1 t. vanilla

Begin by creaming the butter with an electric mixer.  Add the sugar until both they are combined and the mixture looks light and fluffy. 




Add eggs, 1 at a time and turn mixter onto high for a few minutes.

With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour.  This will be a very stiff dough.  Add in the vanilla and mix until completely combined.  I always think it looks like vanilla ice cream at this point. 





At this point you have several options.  First, you can roll out the cookie dough at this point and cut the dough with cookie cutters.  Or you can form rounded tablespoons of dough and flatten them with the bottom of a cup or glass.  Just not too thing!

Either way, bake at 350 degree for 8 to 10 minutes.  For softer cookies, leave in the minimal amount of time. 

I'm going to be a little sneaky and post a picture of my finished snickerdoodles that I took with my BRAND NEW LENS.  (sidenote: I'm loving this little baby!)

When I finished mixing the dough, I used a cookie scoop and rolled my balls of dough in cinnamon sugar.  I placed them on the baking sheet and flattened them.  (Redundancy much?)





Don't they look delicious? Now go make some!

No comments:

Post a Comment